[horde] Re: High Capacity Horde & Email Environment

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Mar 31 09:27:57 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 11:18, Jacob Davida wrote:
> Interesting.... I have not really read up  much on Cyrus as I
> already have a Courier implementation working, however! I am
> very open to the possibility and will go do my homework on
> Cyrus and Murder.
>
> > Mail on NFS is evil. Don't do it. Don't think about doing it. Push it
> > out of your mind. Pretend that NFS doesn't exist.
>
> Is there a reason NFS is such a bad thing? :) Just wondering, if
> it's just not the way to do it, that's fine. I do see that performance
> could potentially be an issue with lots of reads/writes over the
> network instead of straight SCSI for example.

> > Quickly googling around, I see an c.2000 email saying Email on Coda is
> > also Bad... But the OpenAFS manual specifically uses email as an example
> > when you would want to use a particular ACL. So if your dead set on some
> > network file system (but not /the/ Network File System), those might be
> > with looking at.
>
> I will dig. I am partial to FreeBSD as I know it in and out, but am open to
> doing this the/a "correct" way.

Jump on Matt Simerson's Mail-Toaster list.   www.tnpi.biz
Or just search the archives.  It's FreeBSD based, and I can't seem to
remember anyone having issues with NFS, including myself.

Hell, it was more of a PITA to get MySQL to replicate than setup NFS.

I can't say anything about a multi-system Horde though, my Horde is just
on one box.

Rick