[horde] Re: High Capacity Horde & Email Environment

Jacob Davida jacob-news at davida.com
Wed Mar 31 09:26:50 PST 2004

>We do large scale (70K accounts last time I checked) Horde with Cyrus
>Murder.  We present a single image to client by using LVS.  Horde
>preference are kept in a single database that is accessed by each
>frontend (two of them).  So far, Horde have been trouble free in this
>setup.  We had some major problem with the Murder, but nothing someone
>careful could not avoid.

Sounds great. What MTA do you use? Where are your users stored?

>So far, the performance exceed my expectation.  I thought the frontends
>would melt from being used by so many accounts, but so far they are
>holding thight serving IMAP/POP, Horde/IMP and doing MTA duties.

Good to hear. What hardware are you using for each piece?

>This setup provide very good scalability as we can add as many frontend
>as required and the load would be distributed pretty evenly.  It is not
>entirely fault-tolerant as it does still have two single
>point-of-failure : the MySQL database for Horde prefs and the MUPDATE
>master (the Cyrus Murder controlling, if you want).

>I have not read the original post entirely, so if M. Davida have more
>specific questions about our setup, please go ahead.

Thanks for the input. Would it be possible to see a conceptual diagram of
or even explanation of how everythign is interacting? What OS(s) do you
use, etc. Feel free to respond offline if you feel this is inappropriate for
a discussion board. jacob-news at davida dot com

What happens when you need to add more storage space? or more performance
on the IMAP/POP servers? what about for the MTA servers?
Or maybe this isn't an issue. Is each machine running all services, and then
accessing
one central data storage location?

Hopefully I didn't ask too many questions ;). I really appreacite the input
from
everyone so far. LVS looks to be a promising item to be included in this
setup.

Thanks!

- Jacob Davida