[horde] Re: High Capacity Horde & Email Environment

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Mar 31 13:10:10 PST 2004

Etienne already answered some of the questions, so Ill worry about the
others.

On Wed, 2004-31-03 at 11:18 -0600, Jacob Davida wrote:
> Sounds good Ill check StorCase and others.. but, from a 24/7 admin point
> of view. I'd rather be able to login and move some DNS entries vs.
> physically
> going to mess with SCSI cables, etc. Or maybe that's not even an issue. Can
> the
> standby machine be already plugged into a bus and be ready to mount?

Some of their things have multiple independent external SCSI bus's. But
even if not, there is no reason why you cant have two hosts on the same
bus.

You don't want to login and move DNS entries no matter what. You have no
control over how other DNS servers will cache the wrong information..
Not to mention even stupider clients.

> Do you use webcyr-adm by chance? I also need a way to appoint "domain
> admins"
> so we dont have too many people with too much access to muck it all up.

I don't. The server itself support per-domain admins. I don't know how
well any of the admin tools grok it though.

> > Also, have you considered using LDAP for storing user accounts, mail
> > aliases, etc? For that matter, for Horde prefs in general? While
>
> I have considered it, but the learning curve for LDAP was higher than
> my already MySQL knowledge. But i'm willing to tackle that beast again.
> I haven't learned how to successfully create the schema yet.

It is very unlikely you would need to create your own schema
(extension). I am regularly amazed at people trying to reinvent the
wheel vis-a-vis administrative databases with MySQL. There is no
standard SQL schema. Some systems allow very customizable queries so
that they can conform to an existing DB. Others do not, so you will end
up with duplication of data. LDAP works. There is a standard schema. Via
PAM/NSS all UNIX programs will just work with it. Many things inherently
understand LDAP and the standard schema.

There are no guarantees in life, but LDAP is the best bet for
future-proofing you data.