[horde] reagent: the code

Mij mij at bitchx.it
Thu Apr 22 17:23:17 PDT 2004

Il giorno 22/apr/04, alle 11:46, Carlos Pedrinaci ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if you are aware of Thor which aim is to provide a way to
> organize and manage projects, allowing users to create project plans,
> add a bug tracking system via Whups etc..
> The code is currently quite simple, but it is evolving everyday. It is
> currently under reorganization so as to get a more adaptable
> architecture (almost done) suitable for everyone.
> I think you also might be interested in having a look at it's code.

Please correct me if i'm wrong:
As far as i understood, thor is though with projects in mind.
Thor's goal is to help developers to manage the high level development
of the project they belong to with a set of handy tools on the web.

Reagent's goal is completely different. It's not meant for developers.
It's
meant for all the rest of the world. With Reagent you can create
profiles
for developers (users, in general) and projects, providing informations
to the people outside the project itself.

Reagent wants to improve the sense of belonging to a community.
So, it won't grow toward tools like thor ones. It will most likely
incorporate
availability of more informations about users and projects, and possibly
things like users' scores (who's the more active developer, who's the
most
appreciated "project leader" etcetera, something automatic and something
by voting), pseudo-bulletin boards to gather projects' feedback and
things
like that.

That's why reagent overlaps a very little bit with turba and a little
bit with
thor, but not enough to permit it to get incorporated into any of them.
I'd like to improve its integration with them instead. This is already
a TODO.

Please let me know what you think about it.

> However, if I'm not wrong your code was done for Horde 2. Current head
> version of Horde (which will be released soon) has a lot of new and
> wonderful features Thor makes use of.

i prefer to stay on h2. it's very widely used, and bigger institutions
move
quite slowly to newer versions. I don't believe it would be good to me
develop that code on a ALPHA framework.
When I looked on horde3, I didn't find anything very useful to reagent
that wasn't available on horde2.
I will develop on horde2. A "port" for horde3 is possible for the
future, of
course.

> I know its usually hard to coordinate students and even more difficult
> to coordinate them with an external Open Source Project, but it would
> be
> a pity to duplicate efforts.
> I'm looking forward for your opinion.

I hope i've been able to give the right idea about reagent. If you have
more questions or objections, please tell. Also, proposals for points of
integration are welcome.

bye