[horde] Re: when is the next stable release?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 24 09:37:10 PDT 2004

Quoting Luc Peerdeman <ljgp at xs4all.nl>:

> next version promises to be. Within one or two months we have to decide
>   if we wait for and install the next Horde version, or drop it
> altogether and install something else instead.
> In this situation, "When it's ready" is not very informational. Although
> it may help us make up our minds quicker.

Well, you have three options here:

* Run the pre-lease version.
* Switch to something else (but what?)
* Wait until we release it and then switch, whenever that is.

I don't see pulling a Microsoft (promising a release one year, delivering
it three years later) a reasonable or responsible way to do business.  I
don't consider Red Hat's recently implemented and even more recently dropped
(or moved to FC) policy of release a version every 6 months whether it
is ready
(and working) or not a good solution either.  Instead, Horde adopted
the old wine commercial method of "We'll sell no wine before its time"
ala "We'll release no code until its time."

> That said, as a user I like the mail client (this is what I use most)
> and would like to continue using Horde.

Then please do.  But would you continue to use it if we released bad code?
If we released code with known bugs and problems just to meet a deadline?
If not, then please be willing to wait for the code to be deemed ready
for release, rather than imposing artificial release dates on it.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!