[horde] reagent: the code

Mij mij at bitchx.it
Mon Apr 26 07:22:34 PDT 2004

Il giorno 24/apr/04, alle 18:00, Carlos Pedrinaci ha scritto:

> This is something Thor will also tackle. In a certain way Thor will be
> kind of Sourceforge module for Horde with Project Management
> capabilities such as Plan, team, resources management..

well, I don't think that's a good thing to build such a "fat" module.
Beside the
problems which come introducing more and more "areas" to a project,
it's one
of Horde's very main goals to provide a framework for a set of modules
to carry
out different tasks. Extending thor wherever just to merge developers
under
one name doesn't gives me the idea the app has been critically planned
with
an eye to its environment.
What you think could as a "yep we would also include this in the
future" is not
such a little thing. Of course if you just think to it as "yes, show
some user details
and some project details" it can be reduce to something thin, but
that's far from
what what i planned for reagent.

> I do also see the need for some of the things you mention in the case
> of
> Thor. For example a Project leader might require a poll to decide on
> the
> best next feature to add to a certain software. The same way projects
> would benefit of forums for development stuff discussions...

You should plan a bit slowly what wants your app to do. If thor is what
you said, it is a tool to support specifically users and projects in
their
self activity, not the community as an entity in a whole.
Its target is completely different: adding features is ok, add targets
implies very easily less usability, far higher complexity, more
inclination
to bugs, less security etc.

> But imo all these things should just be "links" to the other pieces of
> software available for Horde:

indeed

> Well... I also started Thor on Horde 2 then moved to Horde 3.. now I'm
> happy I did that.
> It is true that institutions are usually reluctant to updating, that is
> why Horde guys do a lot of work to solve compatibilities and migration
> problems.
> Obviously I can't prevent you from continuing to code based on Horde 2,
> but in my opinion this is a mistake. If you go along with Horde, your
> code will evolve together with it and your work will remain there. If
> you do the work on your side, code will soon be obselete and you will
> have a lot of work that is no more usable.
> That would be a real pitty, don't you think so?

horde3 is still quite buggy.
Most average-size institutions expects a software to be released as
stable,
then possibly wait a few months to let other users find eventual
sensitive bugs,
then install it.
This if they have to build a *new* service. If they just have to update
their
current service, they will probably waith months or years.
I can see you're exited with horde 3. I chose h2 because of that; it
seems I
have the time for a future adaptation to h3. The "porting" could begin
very
soon, furthermore.

> Same here :)

I can provide to you (other people, if there's someone else interested)
a login for a reagent demo. Please do the same with thor, so we can
evaluate (somewhere away from this ml, better) which points can we
make collide, what can we merge, what can we share etc.

-> i wrote this mail quite hurrily, i'm quite busy those days. If
there's something
not clear feel free to ask for clarification.

bye