[horde] Patch - New "Encryption" type added to framework Auth.php for MS Active Directory unicodePwd encoding.

LRM lrm at ionline.com.br
Mon May 3 09:35:05 PDT 2004

Jan,

Trying to follow your suggestion of using String::convertCharset, the
following issue arises:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263991

According to MS, the encoded "newPassword" (with double quotes, another
requirement for the unicodePwd vaule) is equal to the following encoded
string:

IgBuAGUAdwBQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQAIgA=

So,

$plaintext = 'newPassword';

$encrypted = '"' . $plaintext . '"';
$encrypted = mb_convert_encoding($encrypted, "UTF-16LE", "ISO-8859-1");
$encrypted = base64_encode($encrypted);

Result encoded: IgBuAGUAdwBQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQAIgA=

Using mb_convert_encoding with those parameters returns an identical encoded
string as MS example.

But,

$encrypted = '"' . $plaintext . '"';
$encrypted = String::convertCharset($encrypted, "ISO-8859-1", "UTF-16LE");
$encrypted = base64_encode($encrypted);

Result Encoded: IgBuAGUAdwBQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQAIgB4

Using your suggested String::convertCharset returns a different encoded
string.

Any suggestions/toughts?

Regards

LRM