FW: [horde] VERY slow login...

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri May 28 15:31:59 PDT 2004

Quoting mercury at appisolutions.net:

> Quoting Chip Bell <cbell at msbv.com>:
>
>> I am being told by the admin (remotely I can only test web mail) that
>> Thunderbird (IMAP client) is a lot slower navigating folders when the
>> webmail is slow.  He tells me that sending mail does not change though.

Could be your folders settings are wrong, and it is trying to index your
whole account or whole system at login.  Just an idea.

> What about ImapProxy? Wasn't it designed to address some of these kind of
> issues?

Speed up repeated logins via webmail? Yes.  Fix misconfigured or
overloaded systems? No.

> More importantly, does anyone know if it is stable enough to use yet?

Depends on your imap server.  I'd used it without problem for years with
the production IMP and the HEAD IMP up until about a year ago.  It won't
work with the current HEAD IMP and my wu-imapd server.  So, it can depend
on your imap server, and how IMP tickles it.

BTW, my problems with wu-imapd+HEAD-IMP+proxy are not specific to any
particular imap proxy...  I tried it with different imap proxy software
and they all caused the same problem...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics