[horde] What to do when removing user

Mike Bydalek mbydalek at mobilemini.com
Tue Jul 6 17:11:49 PDT 2004

Eric:

To reply to all your comments: I totally agree with you, but the fact of the
matter is, people aren't perfect.  I'm was just trying to play the Devil's
advocate by providing some worst case scenarios. I guess my main point is to
just keep the user informed.  If all that should be done is after clicking
to delete "jsmith" a warning saying "All data will be lost, etc. etc., are
you sure?" then so be it.

To me, Horde is great because of all the different options it presents, so
presenting several options when deleting a user wouldn't be out of line.  If
I have an employee who is a manager or something, and he leaves, it would be
great for me to just delete him and have all his objects now belong to me
(or his replacement, etc.) without having to go through and say "okay, what
turba objects did he create?  Kronolith calendars?  Nag lists?  Mnemo pads?
Etc."  Even when you delete a user in *nix, you are still presented with the
option "Do you wish to delete /home/<user>?"  If not, you go over it later.

> I'd rather that when I ask for it to delete a user's data, it
> does so, then to have my DB grow forever with no easy way to
> maintain it.

This I'm not sure I get what you are saying.  I didn't say "Don't ever
delete user data," just to have an option to or not.  If you don't opt to
delete their data, then at least get rid of 100% certain non-shared data
while keeping potentially shared data in tact with of course a list of it so
you can review it later.

Regards,
Mike