[horde] Unusual Horde / IMP login behaviour...

Adam Thwaites adam at 2-8s.net
Sat Jul 10 10:47:07 PDT 2004

Woohooo!!! Just found out what the problem was!!! I'm using DynDNS to
redirect my IP address (for example "myserver.dyndns.org").  The problem
was related to another problem of mine where Apache needs the trailing
slash for addresses. To fix this, I needed to set the ServerName
Directive to "myserver.dyndns.org", or "hostname" (not their real names,
btw) instead of its default automatic setting (where it tries to
determine the domain automatically).  The problem is that with DynDNS,
you can't access your DynDNS domain name from the computer that it
points to... for example: If I map my local computer's IP address to
myserver.dyndns.org, I can't access myserver.dyndns.org from my local
computer, otherwise it says "host not found" (or whatever).  To view the
site from my home computer, I need to access it via its IP address or by
using "hostname" or "localhost". However, Apache still tries to look up
"myserver.dyndns.org" when it tries to automatically determine the IP
address (by doing an nslookup over the net, I guess, which does return a
value for DynDNS names when performed from the local computer, since it
accesses the online nameserver rather than performing a loopback query).

To sum up: To fix this, add or change the ServerName directive in your
httpd.conf so that it reads "hostname" if you want to access it on a
local ethernet ("localhost", will only work from the computer running
your webserver). If you want to access it over the net, add or change
the ServerName directive to "myserver.dyndns.org" ... it won't work from
your local computer or local ethernet, but you can rest assured that it
will work over the net.

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

- Adam