Fwd: Re: [horde] new icons

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Sep 29 08:47:52 PDT 2004

>> That reminds me, we already do the some theme check in Horde::img() anyway,
>> an additional array lookup shouldn't hurt much. But these arrays might get
>> really big and consume lots of memory if a theme replaces many/all icons.
>
> Yeah, I'm concerned about maintainability there, too. No real need for
> big maps
> if we can just use pngs consistently.
>
>>> as 8-bit indexed PNG can be a drop-in replacement for GIFs _without_ any
>>> AlphaGizmoMicrosoftCall/Script (there's only a on/off transparency, but
>>> that's what we have with GIF anyway), a naming convention could be used
>>> for truecolor alpha PNG images; prefixing images with "a_", like in
>>> "a_img.png" might be used to wakeup the IE-scripting calls in img();
>>
>> That's an interesting idea.
>
> Something like that sounds possible, yeah.
>
> Also, this reminds me that I ran across an alternate IE-png solution
> that uses
> CSS - here's one variant:
> http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html that matches all img

That's a tad smarter as it doesn't need to attach onload event handlers to
the images explicitely, but the performance hit should be the same if there
is any. Maybe someone should check this first, if there is no noteable
performance degrade, this discussion is moot anyway and we should change to
PNGs.

> tags, and here's one that uses CSS:
> http://www.daltonlp.com/daltonlp.cgi?item_type=1&item_id=217 but I think the
> fatal flaw there is the css filter: requires you to define the src= in the
> filter.

Exactly.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/