[horde] Horde RC3 - authentication problems

Darren Martz darren at shelbrook.com
Mon Dec 20 21:36:21 PST 2004

I'm new to horde and I must say that RC3 is really looking sharp!!

Mail: qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap, mysql
Horde: RC3
OS: gentoo-2.6.9-r9

I have tried two different approaches (unsuccessfully) to using courier for
authentication. In both cases I tested two virtual users. One account is a
horde administrator (in conf.php), and the other is not.

Here are my two attempts and their results:

1) used auth-type IMAP in horde setup. This allows both the admin and the
regular user to log into horde. Neither account can access IMP.

2) used auth-type IMP in horde setup. This allows both users to login, but
only the admin account can use all the additional modules such as IMP. The
regular user seems to timeout or something odd with every module.

In both cases, the log file only states the user was successfully
authenticated and nothing more.

The IMP module has been configured with the basics for courier IMAP
including the "folder=INBOX." entry.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a proper way of configuring this with
courier?

Would I be better off switching to Cyprus? My perception is that Cyprus has
better support in Horde than courier. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Cheers,
Darren