[horde] Please help for installation horde 3.0

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Mon Jan 3 08:36:26 PST 2005

Hi,

I tried several times to install horde 3.0 on my fc3 linux, but still
could not login after the initial setup.  Here I post the detail steps I
did.  Please help me to figure out what is wrong.

Basic information:

os:     RedHat FC3 linux, kernel 2.6.9
web:    httpd-2.0.52-3.1 (apache)
mysql:  3.23.58-13
php:    4.3.10-3.2
sendmail:       8.13.1-2

php modules installed:
        php-ldap-4.3.10-3.2
        php-devel-4.3.10-3.2
        php-mbstring-4.3.10-3.2
        php-mysql-4.3.10-3.2
        php-imap-4.3.10-3.2
        php-snmp-4.3.10-3.2
        php-pear-4.3.10-3.2
        php-domxml-4.3.10-3.2
        php-xmlrpc-4.3.10-3.2
        php-gd-4.3.10-3.2

web root: /var/www/html
and .php has been enabled.

I download horde 3.0 to my /usr/local/src

# tar zxfv horde-3.0.tar.gz
# cp -r -p horde-3.0 /var/www/html/horde
# cd /var/www/html/horde/config/
# for f in *.dist; do cp $f `basename $f .dist`; done
# chown root.apache /var/www/html/horde/config/*
# chmod 0660 /var/www/html/horde/config/*
(later I will change the permission to 0640 after setup)

# cd /var/www/html/horde/scripts/sql/
# vi create.mysql.sql
(change:
        PASSWORD('my-horde-password')
)
# mysql --user=my-sql-admin --password=my-sql-admin-password <
create.mysql.sql
# mysql --user=my-sql-admin --password=my-sql-admin-password reload

(test horde database:)
# mysql --user=horde --password=my-horde-password horde
(it works, all tables are empty)
mysql> show tables;
+---------------------------+
| Tables_in_horde           |
+---------------------------+
| horde_datatree            |
| horde_datatree_attributes |
| horde_prefs               |
| horde_tokens              |
| horde_users               |
| horde_vfs                 |
+---------------------------+
mysql> quit

# /etc/init.d/httpd restart

Now, browse my horde web site http://my-web-server/horde/
I can see
Welcome, Administrator
Last Login: never

I click the + sign next to Adminisration, then Setup.  I see on the
right-side window:
Application              Status
Horde (horde)             no version found

I click the application name "Horde (horde)", the Horde Configuration"
page shows up with 20 tabs.

General: I did nothing
Database: MySql
  Request persistent connections: yes
  protocol: UNIX socket
             3306
  hostname: localhost
  username: horde
  password: (as set above)
  database: horde
  charset: iso-8859-1

Authentication:
  administrators: Administrator,horde,root,hongwei
  backend: IMAP authentication
  Configuration type: separate values
  hostname: localhost
  server port: 143
  connection protocol: imap    -- I also tried imap/notls, no help

Mailer:
  method: sendmail binary
  location:  /usr/sbin/sendmail
  extra parameters: -oi

No changes on other tabs.  Then, I click "Generate Horde Configuration",
and received the message: Successfully wrote
/var/www/html/horde/config/../config/conf.php

Now, I click "Logout" and the horde login page shows up. Then, the problem
comes: I cannot login at all -- no matter what user: root/system-password,
my username hongwei/system's password, horde/horde-database-password.

Did I do anything wrong? or missed something?

I appreciate all the help!

Hongwei Li