[horde] Problems setting up desired authentication mechanisms

H. Scott Brown hs.brown at smius.com
Fri Jan 14 14:09:28 PST 2005

I followed these instructions from INSTALL:

   You can now access Horde without a password, and you will be logged in as
   an administrator. You should first configure a real authentication
backend.
   Click on ``Configuration`` in the ``Administration`` menu and configure
   Horde.  Start in the ``Authentication`` tab.

   Here is an example for configuring authentication against a remote IMAP
   server.  Similar steps apply for authenticating against a database, an
LDAP
   server, etc.

   a. In the ``Which users should be treated as administrators`` field enter
      comma separated list of user names of your choosing.  This will
control
      who is allowed to make configuration changes, see passwords,
potentially
      add users, etc.

   b. In the ``What backend should we use for authenticating users to
Horde``
      pulldown menu select ``IMAP authentication``.  The page will reload
and
      you will have specific options for IMAP authentication.

   c. In the ``Configuration type`` pulldown menu select ``Separate
values``.
      The page will reload with additional options.  Fill in the remaining
      three fields appropriately:

      - IP name/number of the IMAP server
      - For a secure connection, select port 993.
      - Select the protocol; for a secure connection either ``imap/ssl`` or
        ``imap/ssl/novalidate-cert`` (for self-signed certificates).

   Continue to configure Horde through all the tabs of the configuration
   interface and click on ``Generate Horde Configuration``.

   Configuration of applications in ``registry.php`` is documented in the
   ``INSTALL`` file of each application.  Most applications require you to
   configure them with a "Horde administrator" account.  A Horde
administrator
   account is any normal Horde account that has been added to the
   administrator list in the ``Authentication`` tab of the Horde
   configuration.

   The other files in that directory need only be modified if you wish to
   customize Horde's appearance or behaviour -- the defaults will work at
most
   sites.

   .. _translations:

   Note for international users: Horde uses GNU gettext to provide local
   translations of text displayed by applications; the translations are
found
   in the po/ directory.  If a translation is not yet available for your
   locale (and you wish to create one), see the ``horde/po/README`` file, or
   if you're having trouble using a provided translation, please see the
   `horde/docs/TRANSLATIONS`_ file for instructions.

Login always fails, and I am not finding any logging that explains why:

      - IP name/number of the IMAP server = localhost
      - For a secure connection, select port 993. = 143
      - Select the protocol; for a secure connection either ``imap/ssl`` or
        ``imap/ssl/novalidate-cert`` (for self-signed certificates). = I
tried imap and imap/notls (since I am not using SSL/TLS).

I read the manual several times, there isn't much there. Since I had to run
the scripts to create the MySQL tables/db in order to use SQL
Authentication, I would have guessed that would be clear. I see no
documentation regarding the use of SASL, at all.

Saslauthd is running and properly authenticating users both in Cyrus IMAP,
and sendmail SMTP_AUTH functionality.

Horde and IMP are really the last pieces of the puzzle. Horde has been
properly installed, and has EVERYTHING in it, except for the PECL module
fileinfo, which won't install due to an unrelated issue with PEAR.

Again, any tips on what may be awry would be most helpful.

Thanks,
--H. Scott Brown