[horde] Administrator login when using IMP auth?

horde at rufey.net horde at rufey.net
Wed Feb 2 17:45:22 PST 2005

Hi,

I haven't done extensive searching on the horde mailing list and have
yet to see a solution or work-around to a problem I'm having.

I'm setting up the newest Horde to replace my old install (1.5 years
old), and I'd like to remove the "double login" that occurs when users
log in - first the authenticate to Horde, and then when going into
IMP, they have to re-login.

While I'm able to fix this by telling Horde to use IMP for user
authentication (i.e, have Horde "use another application for
authentication"), once I do this, the next time I log in (and I'm
listed as an "Administrator" user in Horde), I no longer have access
to the Administration stuff.  I noted the note in IMP about this
specific condition, but it nowhere says that by doing this change it
will remove Administrator access to Horde on a permanent basis - until
you muck with Horde's config.php file to change the "auth" back to
Horde.

Is this a side effect of having Horde use another appliation for
authentication as opposed to using, say, IMAP or something else?  If
so, is there a work-around that would allow me to continue to use IMP
for authentication for Horde while at the same time provide specific
users with the Administration functions?

I'm using Horde on a hobby site and use IMAP for my authentication
scheme - I'm using WU-imap on the backend.  I don't want to get all
fancy and install some other backend (like cyrus-imap) or some other
authentication scheme (like ldap or whatever).

--Craig R