[horde] Re: Using PHP Accelerators with Horde

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Mon Feb 14 10:22:25 PST 2005

Am Montag, 14. Februar 2005 18:40 schrieb Andy Wright:
> I have been trying to use mmcache with Horde but it has been giving
> trouble - namely in IMP, where the message content is not displayed.
> I've upped the memory allocation to 32MB (it generally only uses about
> 17MB of this) but the symptoms always return after a few days.

This problem is well known. Just search the list.

mmcache stores binary data in shared memory and on disk. After restart /
reload it seems that the disk cache is corrupted somehow.

You have two options.

1. Disable caching to disk. mmcache option shm_only. Bad, because then scripts
which are too big for SHM caching are not cached at all.

2. Keep the config and change the start/stop script to clear the mmcache
caching directory at every start / restart. Working for me since months
without problems.

> Has anyone had good experiences with other PHP accels and Horde / IMP
> that they would recommend?

Besides mmcache, I only can recommend eaccelerator, which is the project which
continues mmcache development.

@Stefan Gattenhauer:
I would really suggest that you do not mention the shm_only option without
telling the possible backdraw stated above and without mentioning the
alternative I mentioned above.

Best,
Daniel