[horde] Re: problem of poppassd

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:47:33 PDT 2005

Quoting Rodrigo Faria Tavares <digolinopage at yahoo.com.br>:

> Apr 17 19:28:14 rodrigo poppassd[3753]: old password is incorrect for user
> faria
>
> how i can to resolve this problem ?

First, you need to verify if "faria" is the proper username (we'll assume
so).  Next, you need to find out if your poppassd deamon wants the username
('faria') or the fully qualified e-mail address (faria at mydomain) passed in.
Usually most system/unix/PAM setups want just the username, whereas most
ldap/sql/etc setups can require the domain be added.  Third, you must
validate the password you entered really is correct (case, spelling, etc).
Next, you should look into whether there are any special characters in
the password which might be causing problems (alphanumerics are safe,
some other characters might cause problems though).

I'd try using telnet to connect to the poppassd server on port 106
and test it manually by hand.  The commands for poppassd are "user",
"pass" and "newpass" as shown in the example below:

% telnet localhost 106
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 poppassd v1.4 hello, who are you?
user ericr
200 your password please.
pass oldpassword
200 your new password please.
newpass newpassword
500  The password must have both upper and lowercase letters, or non-letters.

(In the above, it failed to change as the password security policy wasn't
met, hence a 500 error code.  A valid change should have resulted in a 200
error code).

Testing by hand (via telnet) as shown above is usually very helpful in
determining where/what the problem may be.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!