[horde] IMAP disk I/O slow

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed May 4 14:59:13 PDT 2005

Quoting cron at odi.com.br:

> Jaz,
>
> I have a very small server, 1.2 athon 1GB RAM,  40 GB HD 80 pin 7200 rpm,
> nothing fancy but i don't have performance problems running Apache(about 20
> vhost), MySQL  + PostgreSQL and mailserver.
>
> The only thing that gave me problems was the IMAP server and after swith
> from  MBOX to MAILDIR format. Problemns are gone.

It's well known that maildir scales *much* better than mbox as the
mailbox size grows.  An INBOX with 100 MB of data is absolutely
enormous so it is sure to be dog-slow if using mbox.  I believe the
Courier-IMAP webpage has a benchmark of maildir v. mbox performance so
that might be a good place to turn.

And, seeing as how this isn't a Horde issue at all, this should
probably be the end of this thread.

michael