[horde] Can't save preferences with MySQL 4.1 and PHP5

Tim Weber horde.list at scytale.de
Wed May 11 17:22:53 PDT 2005

Hi!

I'm looking for a solution for this for hours now.  I've searched the
mailing lists and the web, but all answers are either "oh, I forgot to
set the driver to 'SQL'" or "ah, after updating PEAR::DB everything
works".  The problem is, both are not solutions to my problem.

I've installed Horde 3.0.4 to an Apache 2.0.54 with PHP 5.0.4, MySQL
4.1.8 and PEAR::DB 1.7.6, running under Linux.  I am _not_ using the
MySQLi interface.  And my problem is that I cannot save any preferences.

Setting the logging mode to DEBUG reveals that not a single INSERT or
UPDATE statement is issued.  The horde_prefs table stays empty, and so
do all the other horde tables.  I've tested my database permission
settings, they are okay.

I suspect it's some kind of problem with MySQL 4.1.  Here's why:

When I first set up this Horde installation, I was still using MySQL
4.0.  I managed to make authentication against my custom-made database
schema working, but I needed subqueries.  So I installed MySQL 4.1, and
everything was fine.  I could send mail from IMP, etc.  So I tried to
change my portal page and my preferences, both did not work.  All
preferences did not get saved.  The only two entries in my horde_prefs
table where the "last login" dates of the users I played around with
_before_ installing MySQL 4.1, and updating them (by logging out and in
again) worked quite fine.  When logging in with a newly created user,
however, no "last login" preferences entry was created.  With none of
those users I could save any settings.

Therefore I think that when using this combination of software, PEAR::DB
cannot add new rows to an existing table anymore.  I have no idea what
could be the reason for this, and neither if the Horde mailing list is
the right place to ask (it could as well be a problem limited to
PEAR::DB).  But if anybody could confirm this behaviour, suggest more
things to try or even present a working solution, I'd be pretty happy.
Downgrading to MySQL 4.0 is not an option, because I definitely need the
new features.  The only thing left to try would be using MySQLi, but
this would require hacking of my distribution's packages, and I'm not
quite sure if I want to do this (at least not before asking for other
ideas).  So, thanks for reading this mail (became quite long), and
hopefully anyone of you has some suggestions for me.

Thanks in advance,

      Tim Weber.