[horde] Hardware/config recommendations for large rollout

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Jun 29 16:20:12 PDT 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Kevin Konowalec wrote:

> So 20M processes are normal then?  If so then we need to re-evaluate
> our hardware needs to be able to handle the expected load...
>
> Are there any other installations out there that are handling loads
> like this?  If so can you fill me in on the hardware used?

We see resident memory (RSS) sizes of anywhere from 11-19MB for apache
processes.  During "normal" load we have roughly 20 apache processes per
server (3 servers).  Each server is a Dell 2650 with dual 2.4GHz cpus and
1GB of RAM.  All Horde tables and sessions are stored on a separate MySQL
server.

If your webmail server and mail server are fast enough to dispatch
requests in a timely manner, you shouldn't have very many simultaneous
apache processes running.

 	Andy