[horde] Hardware/config recommendations for large rollout

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 29 20:20:10 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <kevin at ualberta.net>:

> So 20M processes are normal then?

That is up to whoever built your httpd server.  As Chuck said:

> > It might be worth tuning your apache/php compile to remove modules you
> > don't need.
> >
> > -chuck

If you are careful compiling/building apache, you can get it down around
5-10 MB range easily (mine I think is around 6-8 MB).

It may be normal for vendor supplied servers, since they tend to include
as much as possible into the static server image.

> If so then we need to re-evaluate
> our hardware needs to be able to handle the expected load...

2000+ concurrent connections is huge.  It will take some serious
hardware.  I'd recommend multiple servers with some kind of load
balancing or load sharing.

> Are there any other installations out there that are handling loads
> like this?  If so can you fill me in on the hardware used?

My University handles a large service base by putting lots of servers
behind a load balancer.  It's not so important what kind of machines
you use, as long as you use enough. The more powerful the machines,
the fewer you need, and vise-versa.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics