[horde] Huge Weather.com Portal Delays - cache?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Aug 16 02:35:55 PDT 2005

Zitat von Aaron Mahler <amahler at sbc.edu>:

>   I noticed tonight that there were periods of time where our system
> couldn't get the current weather from weather.com for the Horde portal
> blocks. During these instances, a timeout apparently comes into play
> that makes the user login taken a long, long time (like minutes, it
> seems) before finally rendering the page with an error in the box about
> unavailability or somesuch.

>   Is there a way I can avoid this? I'd like to either reduce the
> timeout substantially or find some way to cache the data. It wouldn't
> hurt if it  was a little out of date. What is hurting, though, are the
> users getting hung for minutes on end, especially with the fairly heavy
> use our system gets.

The data *is* already cached, this happens in Services_Weather
internally. What you experience is a socket timeout while your server
is trying to talk to weather.com.

Maybe it's possible to set a timeout in Service_Weather, you should
check the code and documenation. If this is the case we could add it to
the weather block configuration. Otherwise talk to Alexander, the
Services_Weather maintainer if he could add such an option.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/