[horde] problem with accents

Leena Heino Leena.Heino at uta.fi
Tue Aug 23 05:39:21 PDT 2005

> I do have the same problem with umlauts. (See my post "[horde] Umlaut
> Problem") It seems to me, that somehow the old horde version was able
> to switch charsets encoding of the webspages according to the
> (default or user) language chosen. Horde 3.0.5 seems to lack that
> capability and just uses UTF-8 for all the pages.

It seems that in Imp 3.x the email message was by default shown with
current locales' charset eg. in finnish with charset iso-8859-1. This
meant that most of the email messages from most of the western countries
with broken or missing encoding was shown mostly correctly. This also
meant that email with utf-8 characters would by default be shown
containing strange characters.

The deeper problem lies in the fact that some email programs and
organizations sents email without any information of the message's
character encoding and have unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters in
headers. These messages violate the RFC 2822 standard.

If messages with these unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters end up in
your mail store they will be shown as is in Imp 4.0.x. Imp 4.0.x sents
html-pages that are marked as being encoded in utf-8, but if your mail
store have these unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters then the
resulting html-pages will have these characters as is and in most of the
cases these characters are invalid utf-8 character sequences. These
invalid utf-8 characater sequences might cause some very unexpected
results in different web browsers. IE6 shows a blank page or a page that
contains unexpected characters, but you could still read the message with
IE's view page source. Firefox just shows either ?-character or diamond
shape character in place of these invalid utf-8 character sequences.

To correct this situation you could refuse to accept email with unecoded
and unmarked 8-bit characters. You could modify the messages by dropping
the 8th bit from the unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters or replace
them with safe 7-bit characters. Or you could modify these messages by
adding the bare minimum necessary MIME-headers and if needed encode
message headers.

--
   Leena Heino              University of Tampere / Computer Centre
   ( liinu at uta.fi )      ( http://www.uta.fi/laitokset/tkk )