[horde] problem with accents

Marco Robertini marco.robertini at id.unibe.ch
Fri Aug 26 03:14:29 PDT 2005

Am 23.08.2005 um 14:39 schrieb Leena Heino:

>> I do have the same problem with umlauts. (See my post "[horde] Umlaut
>> Problem") It seems to me, that somehow the old horde version was able
>> to switch charsets encoding of the webspages according to the
>> (default or user) language chosen. Horde 3.0.5 seems to lack that
>> capability and just uses UTF-8 for all the pages.
>>

> It seems that in Imp 3.x the email message was by default shown with
> current locales' charset eg. in finnish with charset iso-8859-1. This
> meant that most of the email messages from most of the western
> countries
> with broken or missing encoding was shown mostly correctly. This also
> meant that email with utf-8 characters would by default be shown
> containing strange characters.
>
> The deeper problem lies in the fact that some email programs and
> organizations sents email without any information of the message's
> character encoding and have unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters in
> headers. These messages violate the RFC 2822 standard.
>
> If messages with these unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters end
> up in
> your mail store they will be shown as is in Imp 4.0.x. Imp 4.0.x sents
> html-pages that are marked as being encoded in utf-8, but if your mail
> store have these unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters then the
> resulting html-pages will have these characters as is and in most
> of the
> cases these characters are invalid utf-8 character sequences. These
> invalid utf-8 characater sequences might cause some very unexpected
> results in different web browsers. IE6 shows a blank page or a page
> that
> contains unexpected characters, but you could still read the
> message with
> IE's view page source. Firefox just shows either ?-character or
> diamond
> shape character in place of these invalid utf-8 character sequences.
>
> To correct this situation you could refuse to accept email with
> unecoded
> and unmarked 8-bit characters. You could modify the messages by
> dropping
> the 8th bit from the unencoded and unmarked 8-bit characters or
> replace
> them with safe 7-bit characters. Or you could modify these messages by
> adding the bare minimum necessary MIME-headers and if needed encode
> message headers.

Is it necessary for horde 3 to have all pages shown in utf-8?
Couldn't it be switched to use the locales charset again (as you
stated above, it worked with horde 2)?
Strangely, if you view the sourcecode of the mail, all the characters
are shown correctly as the page is encoded with iso-8859-1.
For us, it's almost impossible to convert all e-mails in an utf-8
readable form. Unfortunately, some mail clients don't seem to care
about the RFC 2822 standard...

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards
Marco