[horde] Memory Exhaustion Problems

Graeme Wood Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 02:36:11 PDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Aaron Mahler wrote:

>    Everything ran fine during testing, but now that school has
> started and usage his rocketed, I've hit three or four instances of
> memory exhaustion to the point that oom-killer from the kernel has
> kicked in and started whacking processes.

I have a similar problem but I know the cause of mine. There seems to be
an issue with running GNU gettext on Solaris and some of the locales in
the horde applications. The problem seems to manifest itself with the
Asian locales: zh_TW, zh_CN, ja_JP and ko_KR, though it may affect others
too. What happens is that GNU gettext will grab about 3.5GB of memory when
it tries to map some messages. I have not been able to track down the
reason but I think the problem is in the libintl.so library. I have been
unable to get locales to work with the Solaris gettext, so the GNU gettext
seems to be the only option, but it is a pain to have to monitor and kill
off large processes continually since the problem causes the server to
stutter when it starts paging. I would really love a proper solution to
this.