[horde] connecting to LDAP

Edwin L. Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Wed Sep 21 03:44:33 PDT 2005

Quoting Silver Salonen <silver at ultrasoft.ee>:

> Hi.
>
> I've set up Horde to authenticate users from LDAP. The only thing I'm
> currently worrying about a little is that Horde connects to LDAP with static
> username and password.
>
> I've given all users access to their entries:
> access to *
> 	by self write
> 	by anonymous auth
> 	by * none
>
> I think it would be more secure if I didn't have to give some special user
> special access-rights and Horde connected to LDAP with username and password
> provided by user trying to log in.

I assume that by "special user" you are talking about binding with your
rootdn?
if so, no, it isn't necessary.  Be sure and browse through:
  horde/config/hooks.php.dist
If you are referring to the horde admin user, it only uses ldap for
authentification like all other users and requires an entry in
horde/config/conf.php like:
  $conf['auth']['admins'] = array('<silver at ultrasoft.ee>');
in your horde/config/conf.php assuming that you are using mail for ldap
auth if not it is your user name.

Hope that helps,

ed