[horde] 1st time setup- test.php works, errors after that though (correction)

Christopher Edmonds christopher at lorax.org
Wed Jan 11 20:22:55 PST 2006

*** sorry horde version is 3.0.9, don't know where that 2.1.3 came
from... ****

hi- long time J2EE developer trying to move to PHP (its easier
right?) LOL

want to use horde as our groupware, and maybe develop some apps in it.

anyway, have a very basic linux box:

SuSE 10.0
apache httpd 2.2.0
mysql-5.0.18
php-5.1.1 with requested modules from PEAR etc
horde 2.13

setup everything per instructions in horde/docs/INSTALL, including
inserting the appropriate tables into the DB with the supplied
script, etc.

horde/test.php works fine, gives me a few interesting messages like:

(under PHP Version): Wow, a mystical version of PHP from the future...

I have "NO" for FTP Support, IMAP Support, Mcrypt support, OpenSSL
support and PostgreSQL Support (using mysql anyway)

everything else is "YES" and the session counter works fine

what to do next though- in the INSTALL doc at step 5: Completing
Configuration, things get murky

it talks about accessing Horde without a password, setting up auth
backend, etc.- ok fine, but where to go to do that... no URL is
provided, hmmm maybe just myhost/horde/ right?

ok do that, and am blessed with this:

 >Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference
in /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde/Perms.php on line 341

 >Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference
in /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde/Auth.php on line 1168

 >Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
(output started at /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde/Perms.php:341) in
 >/usr/local/www/horde/index.php on line 51

trying myhost/horde/admin i get:

 >Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference
in /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde/Perms.php on line 341

 >Notice: Undefined index: log in /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde.php
on line 49

 >Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
(output started at /usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde/Perms.php:341) in
 >/usr/local/www/horde/lib/Horde.php on line 1303

I have spent a few hours making sure i have everything setup just
right (i am a PHP newbie, but not to linux, or sysadmin stuff, or
httpd config, etc) and either i am missing some very salient point in
the install docs or something else is wrong

any help appreciated

also are there any other third party docs for horde, what i have
found on the site seems kind of sparse (no offense)