[horde] freeBSD ports pear problems - suggest this for various problems like weather.com etc

eculp@encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Feb 9 02:33:43 PST 2006

Quoting "Kevin M. Myer" <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> I don't know if this is relevant to FreeBSD or not, but I noticed that
> with OpenBSD's ports system, the pear packages were at one time set to
> install to a different location than what the "default" location would
> normally be.  For instance, if I installed from ports any pear package,
> they installed in /var/www/pear/lib, but if I used the pear script to
> install manually from pear.php.net, they would be installed in
> /var/www/pear.  Essentially, the two methods were using different
> values for php_dir, which appears to be what you are seeing too..
>
> This seemed to clear up for me after upgrading to OpenBSD 3.8, or maybe
> I just ended up getting everything to use the same php_dir value at
> some point, out of dumb luck, or sheer frustration.

FreeBSD has gone down this same road, as have I.  A new freeBSD ports
tree allows you to easily use pear for all your installation and
upgrading that I have found to be much more practical (no more ports
dependency issues).  It is just a question of upgrading the ports tree,
deinstalling all of your pear ports and then only installing
/usr/ports/devel/pear This puts pear into /usr/local/share/pear and
your only pear package built from ports will be:
# ls -ld /var/db/pkg/*pear*
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Feb  2 20:01 /var/db/pkg/pear-1.4.6

 From this point on you depend on pear and not the ports tree.  It has
simplified my work but YMMV.

ed