[horde] Sweating Bullets!! Help!

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 28 18:39:52 PST 2006

Quoting Chris <grooveman at comcast.net>:

> Okay --  My horde.log is now filling up with:

> Mar 28 20:03:21 HORDE [emergency] [horde] DB Error: connect failed:
> [nativecode=Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)] ** Array [on line 1329 of
> "/htdocs/horde/lib/Horde/DataTree/sql.php"]

Okay, you have some choices here...

1) You have fewer mysql connections allowed than you have apache
children allowed.  Apache/php is using persistent connections (one
permanent connection to the DB for each apache child) and you are
running out of available processes.

Solution: Configure Horde not to use persistent connections (not
recommended) or configure mysql to allow at least as many connections
as apache can spawn children.

2) Your mysql server is getting hosed and hung.  Can you query it via
another means when this is happening?

Solution: unknown.

3) Something else on your system is hosing the mysql socket.

Solution: fix whatever is broken.

4) Your horde history table has hit critical mass and needs to be trimed.

Solution: Update, trim, or empty your horde history table.

> This error was present, then when I restored the db it disappeared.  Now
> it is back again.  The restore was from 2 days ago... there were no
> problems two days ago, so I am confused.  Why am I seeing this again?

You say it runs great for a few minutes after restarting apache.  That would
be before apache spawns off a lot of children.  Once apache gets enough
children, you could run out of mysql connections...

> Any ideas?

I'd bet you need more mysql connections, but then again, I don't
even run mysql, so what do I know.

>> The machine is a Pentum IV 3.0ghz machine with 2 gigs of ram.  I have
>> been watching Top for hours now, and the CPU never spikes above 5%.  The
>> processes at the top are httpd and perl, and they are at 0%.

There is absolutely no perl in Horde, so I'm not sure why you see perl
at all, since you said the machine runs nothing else.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!