[horde] what is a realm?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 25 07:05:11 PDT 2006

Quoting Rajkumar S <rajkumars at asianetindia.com>:

> Can some one point towards some documentation regarding realm. I could
> not find any thing about it in online docs. Also how does it relate to
> virtual hosts?

 From imp/config/servers.php.dist:

  * realm: ONLY USE REALM IF YOU ARE USING IMP FOR HORDE AUTHENTICATION,
  *        AND YOU HAVE MULTIPLE SERVERS AND USERNAMES OVERLAP BETWEEN
  *        THOSE SERVERS. If you only have one server, or have multiple
  *        servers with no username clashes, or have full user at example.com
  *        usernames, you DO NOT need a realm setting. If you set one, an
  *        '@' symbol plus the realm will be appended to the username that
  *        users log in to IMP with to create the username that Horde treats
  *        the user as. So with a realm of 'example.com', the username
  *        'jane' would be treated by Horde (NOT your IMAP server) as
  *        'jane at example.com', and the username 'jane at example.com' would be
  *        treated as 'jane at example.com@example.com' - an occasion where you
  *        probably don't need a realm setting.

-chuck