[horde] Horde LDAP Browser / Manager

Ben Chavet ben at horde.org
Mon May 8 09:02:37 PDT 2006

> I am interested in working on a LDAP browser/manager for the Horde
> framework.  I am currently attempting to get an idea of the challenges
> involved with this.

Great!

> These are some features in no particular order that I am thinking about:
> - Tree view of LDAP data (in an iframe?) with AJAX to load children
> when the parent node is expanded
> - Below the tree view a list of attributes for the currently selected
> node (also loaded with AJAX)

Listing attributes below or beside the tree would have to be worked out.
Whichever makes best use of screen real-estate would be best.  But,
you have the right idea.

> - Searching

Definitely.

> - Context menu with options to edit node, 'go into' node by making it
> the root of the viewable tree...

Interesting idea, and certainly useful for large/deep directories.

> - Administrator can specify a list of LDAP servers clients may connect
> to and/or allow the user to enter server information manually.

I hadn't thought of making this app available to users, as it is more
an administration tool, but don't let that discourage development of
this idea.  I can certainly see how it could be useful.

> I know what LDAP is and the basic usage and capabilities of it, but I
> am no expert so this is an area I would be learning.  Also, I have
> never written AJAX code myself so this will be a learning experience.
>
> I have a few questions for anyone interested in seeing a project like
> this happen.
>
> What challenges do you foresee?

Learning the Horde framework, and all of the centralized library
functions and niceties it offers.

> What is the number one feature you would like to see in a tool like this?

Overall, I'd like to see general LDAP directory administration. A lot
like what you've outlined.

> Are the features above a start in the right direction, or are there
> more important things to be thinking about? (ie. Am I in the right
> ballpark?)

Sounds like you have a good grasp on what you want to do, with some
good ideas that I hadn't thought of.

> I greatly appreciate any feedback provided!
>
> Thank you,
> Rusty Burchfield
>
> PS.  This is in reference to the Google Summer of Code if you did not realize

Got it :)

--Ben