[horde] usage tracking w/ the memcache session handler?

liamr@umich.edu liamr at umich.edu
Tue May 9 13:19:08 PDT 2006

Hey guys -

When were running the mysql session handler, I tracked my usage by
querying horde_sessionhandler, and requesting a count of any
session_lastmodified fields that fell inside a 30 minute window.  I'd
run this every half hour out of cron, and it worked pretty well.  We
gathered usage statistics this way for three years for our webmail
service.

We switched to memcached last summer as our mysql servers couldn't
handle the increased session size when we upgraded to Horde 3.x.  I
know I can query memcached for statistics, but I don't think any of
them translate as cleanly into "how many users are using my service
right now" as my session_lastmodified query did.

Is anyone else using memcache doing usage tracking?  Anyone have
suggestions as to how I might get the data I'm looking for w/o trying
to parse transfer logs?

Liam