[horde] Horde authentication with LDAP over SSL

Steven De Boeck deboeck at tcomlabs.com
Tue May 23 05:30:30 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I've configured Horde to use LDAP authentication and it's working fine.
Because my Horde server and my LDAP server are not on the same machine,
they have to communicate over the network. Since the LDAP traffic
carries usernames and passwords, I'd like to encrypt it with SSL.
To this end, I've configured in the Horde conf.php file
$conf['auth']['params']['hostspec'] =
'ldaps://ldap.office.tcomlabs.com'; Horde now tries to set up an SSL
connection with my LDAP server, but it fails. I've captured the message
exchange and it seems Horde doesn't want to setup the connection because
it doesn't know the CA that signed the LDAP server certificate.
So my question is, where can I configure the CA that Horde has to trust
? Currently, I'm using the ldaps port (636). Does Horde also support
StartTLS, so I can use the default LDAP port ? If so, how can I
configure that ?
I've looked in the FAQs en searched the mailing lists, but wasn't able
to find any answers. I hope someone will be able to point me in the
right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

--
Steven De Boeck - Senior Engineer Consultancy & Training
tComLabs N.V.
deboeck at tcomlabs.com