[horde] again: procedure for upgrading Horde

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 11 14:03:35 PDT 2006

Quoting Markus Winkler <m at rkus-winkler.de>:

>> There is no single answer, and the answer depends on your versions
>> being run.
>
> I started a short time ago with Horde 3.1.1 and want to update to 3.1.2.

Most configuration files probably didn't change, but some have.  So I would
manually use 'diff' (if you run on unix/linux/etc) and merge the changes
by hand using a text editor.

> Am I right:
>
> 1) I simply copy all the new files from the tar-ball over the old
> installation and then
>
> 2) go to the web-interface, it will compare the settings of the new
> config.xml with the current config.php and tells me, what I have to do?

Yes, that is correct, but only takes into account the conf.xml -> conf.php
configuration file translation.

You still need to then manually convert all the other configuration files
which have changed (e.g. prefs.conf, etc).

> That would be nice.

Yes, it is, and almost 100% painless also.

The only catch is that to do this with your web browser, you will need
to make sure the web server user (e.g. apache or httpd) has write
permission to the conf.php files.  Otherwise, it won't be able to update
them automatically on disk.

>> Next, for each updated module, I do a "diff" on the rest of the
>> configuration files to see what has changed, and manually edit my
>> configuration files as needed based on the "diff" output.
>
> Also asking back just to be sure: For all the modules/apps like IMP the
> mechanism you described above for Horde itself cannot be used here? I
> have to check all these config files manually? If yes: it's strange,
> isn't it? Do you know, why it's not the same way like in Horde-base?
> Other authors?

No, you misunderstood.  Each application can have multiple configuration
files, one of which is called conf.php, the rest have other names (like
prefs.php for example).

The web interface only handles the conf.php file.  The rest you need to
do manually.

>> Often the changes are small and easy to merge. Sometimes they may be
>> so great it may be easier to backup your current one, copy the .dist
>> over, and reconfigure if needed.  It all depends on various things
>> (including your upgrade path and method).
>
> OK, as far as I understand it seems to be rather complicated? Seems to
> be a question of design. But I'm glad that I know now, where to look for
> what. At least I think so. ;-)

First, use the web interface to update all the needed conf.php files (it
will tell you which applications conf.php files are out of date, so you
only need do those it tells you).

Then, for each application, and for Horde itself, go into that applications
"config/" directory, and process any *.php files except for the conf.php
file, merging in any changes from the *.php.dist version.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!