[horde] either very slow login or sidebar disappearing

John Chiu bigmanjohn at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 09:30:38 PDT 2006

hi all

all these days i've been tortured by horde 3.1.2.  after solving the problem of looping login, now is 2 other problems.

i used mysql to handle the php sessions, but the log kept telling me that there were "error retrieving session data" and "error
writing session data", and it took me 3 minutes to get into the main horde page after login.  then, i changed to use php session
handler [file at //var/lib/php/sessions/].   this time the log carried no retrieving/writing session data errors, but the login
process was still that slow.  again, i changed the session handler to pear db.  this time, the login was fast enough, but the
sidebar at the left hand side suddenly disappeared.

in the whole course i didn't touched anything except the horde conf.php file.  and, the modules of turba, vacation, forwards,
kronolith...... appears to work well, if i can wait for that long login.

but in whatever scenario of php session handler, horde can only work for 2 or 3 minutes after the normal main page shows up, and
then it freezes.  i've set no limit in the session and cache time.  even if i've changed to, say, 1200 seconds, it makes no
difference.

can anyone tell me what exactly has gone wrong?

thx so much.