[horde] IMP sort by date

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Aug 24 10:10:06 PDT 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Chris St. Pierre wrote:

> One of my users has a few messages in her inbox that do not get sorted
> properly by date.  The messages are old, all received in 2002,
> although one has a bogus date header from 1904 (!).  Yet all of them
> sort as though they were received today.  This doesn't happen in other
> MUAs.
>
> What could be causing this strange sort?  What header field (or
> combination thereof) does IMP consider when sorting by date?

Generally, IMAP clients (including IMP) sort by the IMAP INTERNALDATE
field, which has nothing to do with the Date: header on the email itself.
The INTERNALDATE field is generally the arrival time of the message to the
email system (maybe the unix datestamp on the file, if you are using
something like Cyrus, Maildir, etc).  In any case, you'll need to look at
your IMAP server to see why this is happening.  Perhaps the mailbox is
"corrupted" in some fashion.

 	Andy