[horde] SMTP auth with TLS?

Vince LaMonica vjl at cullasaja.com
Wed Oct 4 09:52:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Jan Schneider wrote:

} > Oct 03 15:13:55 HORDE [error] [imp] LOGIN authentication failure [SMTP: SMTP
} > server does no support authentication (code: 250, response: mail.example.com
}
} Make sure to have the latest Mail and Net_SMTP packages, there was a bug in
} one of these. I experienced the same a while back.

Mail was at 1.1.10, and I did an upgrade and am now at 1.1.13. Net_SMTP is
still 1.2.8, which is the latest. I still get the same error message. Note
that I'm only allowing PLAIN and LOGIN authentication but because all SMTP
AUTH requests are encrypted [TLS], no plaintext passwd is sent through. On
an IMP host I found via google, they offer CRAM and DIGEST smtp auth,
though not via TLS. So their EHLO repsonse is different than mine. From
the Net_SMTP class, it appears it scans the output of the EHLO and looks
for AUTH in the text.

However, since I'm running TLS [aka STARTTLS], the AUTH line does not show
up in an unencrypted EHLO connection [though it should via stunnel].

So I guess the question is this - does IMP [or maybe better yet - the
Net_SMTP pear extension] support SMTP AUTH over TLS?

More background info on this can be found here:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2006-10/thread.html#163

[it's a thread i started on the postfix list between me and Sandy Drobic]

TIA!

/vjl/