[horde] Newbie doing initial horde installation

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Wed Nov 1 19:24:31 PST 2006

Good evening...

I am doing an initial horde and turba installation on Fedora Core 2 (I
know, it's an old Fedora release... we're stuck with it and there's nothing
I can do about it on the short term)

I don't know anything about SQL or MySQL.  I have gotten to the point in
the horde INSTALL instruction list where it says "Creating databases" and I
don't know where to go from here.

For example, it says "you should be able to execute (the installation)
script as superuser in your database".  Elsewhere (I can't remember where
and can't find it right now), it said that the "superuser in your database"
is NOT the same as the superuser on the host.  So, I have no idea how to go
about creating a "superuser on the database" which I assume I have to do
first before running the installation script.

I also have no idea how to "change the default password 'horde' to
something else before creating the tables" as it says in the next paragraph.

So, my question is ... How much do I need to know about MySQL in order to
achieve a successful installation of turba?

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on the web that I can study to get the
level of knowledge I'll need?  I looked at mysql.org and found only the
MySQL reference manual, which assumes a LOT of prior knowledge of SQL.

(I also looked for a "MySQL for Dummies" book and found only "PHP and MySQL
for Dummies" which looks like it covers how to use one with the other but
may assume some prior knowledge of each.)

My objective for the immediate future is to just get a working instance of
turba running so that my partners and I can use it to keep track of our
prospective customers.  (Later I can get into it more deeply and learn all
about SQL and PHP, but for now we just have to get something running.)

Is MySQL my best choice for this or is there something else that's easier
to set up and will get us running more quickly?

Thanks...