[horde] Horde 3.1, memcache sessionhandler, sidebar, and flock()

Chris Stromsoe cbs at cts.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 27 16:39:29 PST 2006

I'm seeing some weird issues with a recent upgrade to Horde 3.1. I'm using
memcache for session management.  Imp isset as the default application.
The sidebar always displays for authenticated users.

Several of my users log in successfully, but are experiencing browser
hangs while the sidebar tries to load.  The sidebar eventually times out
when PHP kills the process for taking too much CPU time. All of the
reports have come from individuals that have inboxes that take a few
seconds to open.

It looks like the memcache session handler added flock() handling to
serialize session access in between 3.0 and 3.1.  I'm looking at the
locking as one area that could be problematic.

Right now, the code is structured to always obtain an exclusive lock
(LOCK_EX).  Is that necessary?  Is there any reason that read() doesn't
obtain a shared lock (LOCK_SH) instead?

-Chris