[horde] Timezone problems

Dan Lewis Dan.Lewis at TheLewisHouse.com
Fri Jan 19 10:29:25 PST 2007

>> Greetings!
>>
>> I'm having problems with the timezone setting in the user options
>> of Horde. It seems no matter what timezone I set it to, all the
>> times are displayed in GMT.
>>
>> Here's the configuration:
>>
>> Windows/XP Pro (SP2)
>> Horde 3.1.3
>> Apache 2.2.3
>> PHP 4.4.4 (safe_mode off)
>> Timezone set to "Pacific/Tijuana"
>>
>> The symptoms manifest themselves in a number of ways:
>>
>> (1) If I add a "Current Time" panel to the Horde Layout options,
>> then the time displayed is always GMT rather than local time, no
>> matter what timezone I set.
>>
>> (2) If I add a "Calendar Summary" panel to the Horde Layout, events
>>  that occur between the current (Pacific) time and 8 hours later
>> are  not listed - as if their time had already passed.
>>
>> (3) The emails listed in my Inbox are displayed with arrival times
>> that are 8 hours later than their actual arrival time (as would be
>> the case for GMT).
>>
>> I checked the server, and Windows displays the correct time in the
>> bottom right-hand corner of its screen - and it's timezone setting
>> is also "Pacific/Tijuana".
>>
>> Maybe we missed it, but neither I nor our Computer Systems
>> Administrator were able to find any relevant information on the
>> web, including in the Horde bugs database. Perhaps I have a
>> configuration setting that needs to be changed. Ideas?
>
> This PHP statement doesn't seem to work on your server:
>
> putenv('TZ=Pacific/Tijuana');
>
> Jan.

I was able to finally solve the timezone problem by editing nls.php to
replace:

      $tz['America/Tijuana'] = 'America/Tijuana';

by:

      $tz['PST8PDT'] = 'America/Tijuana';

Is this the preferred approach, or is there a more appropriate way to
fix this?

Dan