[horde] Feedback on installation and saying Thank You

Andreas Bauer list-horde at voltage.de
Sat Jan 20 18:37:45 PST 2007

Hello all,

I found out about Horde and related projects about 4 hours ago and my
previously running squirrelmail got retired about one hour ago.

This post is to give you feedback that I hope can be a bit helpful, as
how the installation works out "in the field". I downloaded the Webmail
Edition + gollem and set it up on a pretty standard Debian 3.1 box. I am
knowledgeable in Linux in general, but most PHP stuff (e.g. pear PECL)
is pretty new to me.

As I wrote it took me about 3 hours to get it running to satisfaction.
One detail that cost me some time I'd like to mention that can be
improved from an administrator's point of view:

 - point out more clearly in the documentation (e.g. INSTALL document)
how authentication is (default via IMP) and can be configured. My
misconception was that all settings are configured via browser and
therefore the first login gets authenticated against passwd / PAM ... It
was not until finding a hint on the website that I provided the IMAP
server information et voilá.

I would like to say thank you for this great piece of software. If I
ever meet one of you guys I owe you a beer or another beverage of your
choice.

Sincerely, Andi