[horde] problems login in to horde webmail

Murray murray at sitesmiles.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 03:15:38 PST 2007

Hi.

I am completely new to .php but have several (painful) years of working
with .asp and MS hosting. my company has recently purchased an unmanaged
Windows 2003 server, with plesk / Virtuozzo.

I have been left with the task of making it work, which I am slowly
achieving, the last outstanding issue is the webmail, which uses Horde.

I have no previous experience of this system, but have run the test.php
file and seen that most required elements are present and working.

The main Issue I have is that I cannot login to the webmail:

http://webmail.e-spaces.co.uk/horde/imp/login.php

 From what I have read the issue is perhaps that the DB is not being
written to, this of course is a bit of a wild guess (deduction being my
only tool here, I have to start somewhere). Again I have no worthwhile
experience with mySQL databases.

I am trying to test write to the db using the small script I found on
the following page:

http://wiki.horde.org/FAQ/Admin/Troubleshoot/

if appears about 3/4 of the way down the page. I have copied and
uploaded (via windows xp remote desktop connection) the code to the
following location:

http://webmail.e-spaces.co.uk/horde/db.php

there is a fault, which I believe is on this line:

if (!($db = mysql_pconnect(localhost,root,password))){ return 1; }

the obvious thing to me would be to include the location of the
localhost, root (?) and password in quotations marks, but I am unsure
what these are.

as anyone reading this might easily see, I am a bit lost, a little
desperate and way over my head.

thanks in advance, murray.