[horde] Language doesn't stick after login

Kristian Lance kristian.lance at crc.ca
Tue Feb 20 07:57:00 PST 2007

I three computers running Horde Groupware with Webmail--two w/latest
Gentoo and one w/latest Fedora Core.

I originally thought I was lacking the correct locale support on these
machines when I would select "French," log in, and the names of the
Horde apps were in French, but everything else was in English.  Then,
while trying to troubleshoot the problem, I set the default language in
nls.php to "fr_FR."  This resulted in everything being translated to
French properly, except that the login page was always in French, and
even if I selected English on login, everything was displayed in French
anyway.  So I set the default language in nls.php back to "" (blank),
and continued testing.

Yesterday I had a look at the HTML source of the login page, and noticed
that the form's language selection is called "new_lang," and that this
value appears in the URL of the login page when another language is
selected from the drop list on the login form.  So I logged into Horde
again, and once I was logged in I added ?new_lang=fr_FR to the URL and
bingo!  From that point onward I saw everything in French.

This exact behavior is reproduced on all three computers, all of which
are running the latest versions of Gentoo/Fedora, PHP and Apache 2 (the
db backend is PostgreSQL.  We have an older server that runs a version
of Gentoo from a couple of years ago, as well as Apache 1.3x and PHP
4.3x, and it handles Horde as expected--displaying the correct language
when selected, without having to muck around.  I'm wondering if this is
an Apache issue--some default changed in 2.0 for security reasons, or a
change to how it handles sessions.  Horde's session name set for
PHPSESSID, which matches the value in php.ini.

Can anyone give me some pointers, or suggest other tests that would
reveal the cause of this problem?

Thanks!