[horde] still having problems with dropped sessions

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Wed Mar 14 19:05:24 UTC 2007

Horde: 3.1.2
Imp: H3 (4.1.2)
Turba: H3 (2.1.1)
PHP Version: 4.4.1

So I've added a second memcached instance of 512MB (for a total of
1024MB) but we're still seeing sessions being dropped fairly
frequently (and no messages in the logs are even remotely helpful).
By "dropped" I mean the user will be logged in and reading or writing
mail and suddenly he/she will find themselves booted back to the
login screen without explanation.  We have roughly 3600-4000
concurrent users at peak volume - is 1Gig enough memcached size?  And
if it's not a memcached problem, where else can anyone suggest we
look as the cause?  Since this is the busiest time of the year I
suspect that it's a function of load... but I'm not sure which part
of the system is failing because of it.  And it's strange in that
sometimes you can leave yourself logged in all night and your session
will still be there (as you'd expect) but other times you can be
booted out several times repeatedly without warning.

I'm not sure if it's an indicator of the way students use the system
(ie logging in to check their mail several times a day) or if it's a
result of this repeated login problem but my log analysis showed that
the number of distinct users logging in per day is dwarfed by the
total number of logins per day at a ratio of about 3:1 and growing.