[horde] collaboration within imap

Jim Guiltinan jim at abwhost.net
Thu May 3 19:08:53 UTC 2007

I was going to suggest the following, as I use IMP in my small web hosting
business, but then when I visited today horde's web site, I see they already
have groupware - which looks great and I've just asked my linux consultant
what it would take to replace IMP with groupware web  edition.

What I was going to suggest is a simple collaboration design, where email
messages are considered database "records," all within imap.  This would
require modification of an email program such as thunderbird, or creation of
a new email program, for those who like to work both in webmail and outside
of webmail.  A design where when you schedule an appointment in your
calendar, it gets sent as an email message with a special tag in it telling
IMP and any compatible IMAP email program that the email message is a
calendar record, and if a group is involved, carbon copies of the message go
to group members' mailboxes.

Same for contacts, tasks and notes.  I would guess this would mean that
contacts are one imap folder, tasks and notes have their own imap folders.
But the interface would display records (email messages) in these folders
not as email folders but appropriate displays such as calendar display.  It
may be that for notes and tasks, standard email folders work.

Would it fly?  Or is it not needed since we have groupware web edition now?

Jim

*  *  Jim Guiltinan
  *   ABW Host, LLC
*  *  http://abwhost.net