[horde] Fwd: Re: From header different when email sent from IMP?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed May 16 22:37:55 UTC 2007

Please keep conversations on the list.

----- Forwarded message from Patrick.Baldwin at studsvikscandpower.com -----
     Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:35:39 -0400
     From: Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin at studsvikscandpower.com>
  Subject: Re: [horde] From header different when email sent from IMP?
       To: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin at studsvikscandpower.com>:
>

>> Hi, I'm running FreeBSD 6.2-RC1, and horde-3.1.1_2.
>>
>> I've noticed that when email is sent from IMP, the From: header
>> is different than when sent via our normal IMAP clients.
>>
>> Instead of Firstname.Lastname at ourdomain.com, it's
>>
>> IMAPlogin at ourdomain.com
>>
>> I was hoping to roll IMP out to a limited user base for testing
>> this week, but I'd really like to get that fixed first.
>

> Very likely, your SMTP server is configured to rewrite addresses on
> send (though it's possible you've done relevant setup in each of
> your  "normal" imap clients also).

Definately the SMTP server's doing, I just checked.

> If that's the case, you may have set up  IMP to send email through
> local sendmail, instead of SMTP. Switching  to have IMP contact your
> SMTP server would solve the problem.

I'm in the process of trying this, but the two docs I've found talk
about:

horde/config/horde.php
$conf['mailer']['type'] = 'smtp';

$conf['mailer']['params'] = array();
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array('server' => 'smtp.example.com');
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array('port' => '25');

I don't have a horde.php in that directory.  I do have a conf.php that
has:

/* CONFIG START. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN OR AFTER THIS LINE. */

[...leaving out some of the $conf lines...]

$conf['mailer']['params']['sendmail_path'] = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
$conf['mailer']['params']['sendmail_args'] = '-oi';
$conf['mailer']['type'] = 'sendmail';

Which is what I think I need to replace with the smtp conf lines
above, but the fact that it's not the right filename and
the file starts off telling me not to change anything, USING
CAPITAL LETTERS, has left me a little reluctant to haul off
and change it here, since I've already managed to break it
once this week.

--
Patrick Baldwin
Systems Administrator