[horde] Server Configuration for procurement - suggestions.

Anant Athavale asa at isac.gov.in
Tue May 22 12:52:58 UTC 2007

Dear List:

We want to procure new servers for deploying Horde/IMP based mail
software.  We have about 2000+ user accounts.  Currently we have two
AMD Opteron based systems with dual processor/4 GB RAM and the users
are divided onto two systems.  The users on each system are fixed (No
load sharing).  The current quota for each user is 150 MB (Cyrus
IMAP).  The INBOX are stored on external storage EMC connected through
FC interface (direct attach).

We plan to upgrade the servers and merge all the user accounts into a
single server.  We plan continue to use RHEL as OS (upgrade to RHEL 5)
and also plan to increase mailbox quota to 500MB.

1. Do you think merging is good option?
2. Those having similar load, what is the server configuration you are using
    and are there any performance issues?
3. What is the server configuration you recommend for our requirement (as
    mentiond above)
4. Do you think, AMD or INTEL make difference in performance where processor
    has similar capability.

We will be definitely upgrading to IMP 4.2 as and when released.

Regards,

Anant Athavale.