[horde] Problem compiling PHP

charles at neutel.com charles at neutel.com
Tue Jun 19 14:49:32 UTC 2007

Dear Julien:

Thank you very much for your reply and your kind help.

I am not sure if ipmap-2006i works with PHP4. I just have followed the instructions for compiling PHP with imap support, which is necessary for Horde Webmail.

I have used several imap libraries; the last one I used is 2006i downloaded directly from UW, but always get the same result: compilations ends successfully but when I restart Apache I get the same error: undefined symbol: mail_close_full.

I have carefully examined the sources of the imap libraries and PHP and I can see that the symbol is defined, but the result is always the same.

I do not know what to do.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Charles

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:29:36 +0200, Julien Sabotage wrote
> Hello Charles,
>
> After some searching it seems to me that the mail_close_full() function is an old [perhaps depricated?] function available in earlier imap versions. Are you sure imap-2006i works with PHP4?
>
> I have little experience with compiling PHP from sources, but my first try would be to use another version of the imap libraries. (Both 4.7c and 2004a seems to have mail_close_full() defined atleast.)
>
> I would probably check what versions other people compiling PHP 4.4.x has used, and try that instead of going with one of the latest releases. (PHP 4.xis old now, so perhaps changes has been made to the imap library that's only reflected in PHP 5.x)
>
> My two cents anyway, good luck!
>
> .K+
>
> On 6/17/07, charles at neutel.com <charles at neutel.com> wrote:Dear friends:
>
> I am compiling PHP 4.4.7 with imap support, as required for Horde Webmail,
> using the latest c-client source downloaded from Washington University.
>
> This is my configuration:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/log \
> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-bcmath \
> --with-config-file-path=/etc/apache --enable-calendar \
> --with-mysql --with-zlib --with-pgsql --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-spl \
> --enable-ftp --with-gettext --libexecdir=/usr/libexec \
> --with-imap=/usr/src/imap-2006i --with-bz2 --with-freetype-dir=/usr/lib \
> --with-zlib-dir=/usr/lib --enable-gd-native-ttf \
> --with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-iconv-dir=/usr/lib \
> --with-magickwand=/usr --with-ldap --with-gd --with-png-dir=/usr/lib \
> --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib --enable-shared --enable-static \
> --with-pear=/usr/lib/php --enable-libxml
>
> Compilation ends OK, but when I restart Apache, I get this error message:
>
> Cannot load /var/www/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
> /var/www/libexec/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: mail_close_full
>
> I have double checked the sources but up to now I have not been able to find
> the error.
>
> Any help is highly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles