[horde] Getting "Unable to connect to SQL server" in

James Mohr horde at jimmo.com
Wed Jun 27 06:09:51 UTC 2007

Greetings!

I downloaded horde-webmail-1.0.1.tar.gz a couple of days ago and have run into
a number of different problems. At this point, the most important problem is
when I go to add a user I get:

A fatal error has occurred
Unable to connect to SQL server.
[line 441 of /usr/share/horde/lib/Horde/Auth/sql.php]

Although it is obviously what this error message is saying, line 441 of
sql.php is simply the line that exits and outputs the error.

I set up SQL authentication from the Authentication tab and then clicked on
the link to add a user. I get the form to add the user, but the message above
appear right below it.  When googling for a solution, one of the sites causes
Firefox to crash and I had to restart it. Instead of getting to the setup
page, I get the login page. I had not yet created any users and the
horde_users tables is empty,  so I cannot login at all.

When I input something, I get this.

A fatal error has occurred
Unable to connect to SQL server.
Details have been logged for the administrator.

Unfortunately, in /tmp/horde.log the only entry is:

Jun 29 20:30:56 HORDE [emergency] [horde] Unable to connect to SQL server. [on
line 441 of "/usr/share/horde/lib/Horde/Auth/sql.php"]

Other the listing the same file, as above, I do not see any "details".

In the Horde wiki, under FAQ/Admin/Config, there is a section  "I've just
installed Horde, how do I log in or create users?". It talks about "[Horde
2.0]" Hmmm. I installed horde-webmail-1.0.1. I remember in the app admin it
seem to say Horde was version 3.something. So I am confused as to what
version I am really running. Is there a matrix somewhere that says what
version of which app is in which product?

The sql lines in conf.php look like this:

$conf['sql']['username'] = 'horde';
$conf['sql']['password'] = 'hordepw';
$conf['sql']['hostspec'] = 'localhost';
$conf['sql']['port'] = 3306;
$conf['sql']['protocol'] = 'tcp';
$conf['sql']['database'] = 'horde';
$conf['sql']['charset'] = 'iso-8859-1';
$conf['sql']['phptype'] = 'mysqli';

test.php reports

MySQL Support: Yes

during the installation I selected:
Username to connect to the database as* [] horde
Password to connect with [] hordepw
How should we connect to the database? tcp
Database server/host* [] localhost
Port the DB is running on, if non-standard [3306]
Database name to use* [] horde
Internally used charset* [iso-8859-1]

I then created thed the database and tables from the menu.

At this point the only solution seems to be reinstall. However, I do not see
where I made any mistakes, so if I reinstall using the values I did the first
time, it seems likely that it will fail again.

Regards,

Jim Mohr