[horde] memcache session question.

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jun 28 21:19:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Kevin Konowalec wrote:

> Horde: 3.1.4
> Imp: H3 (4.1.4)
> memcached-1.1.12 (openbsd package)
> PHP 4.4.1
>

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still seeing the following in my logs:
>
> May 15 11:38:27 dwc1 HORDE[2924]: [imp] Error retrieving session data
> (id = ba2ae485eabbd2ffa54eaa25ebc18147) [on line 83 of "/var/www/
> horde/lib/Horde/SessionHandler/memcache.php"]
>
> This is when I log out of horde.  So I did a test.  I cleared my lock
> directory (/tmp) and logged in to horde.  It wrote the following files:
>
> lock_3b11f01b2742a400239e612fdb0bf643
> lock_1227f5f5959ec90311eedc7abe56f536
>
> When I log out, lock_3b11f01b2742a400239e612fdb0bf643 is removed
> from /tmp, but the other one remains.  But the error I get is:
>
> May 15 11:43:47 dwc1 HORDE[32588]: [imp] Error retrieving session
> data (id = 3b11f01b2742a400239e612fdb0bf643) [on line 83 of "/var/www/
> horde/lib/Horde/SessionHandler/memcache.php"]
>
> So... why is it trying to retrieve a session lock file that it's
> already removed?  AND why is it leaving the other one there?  After
> few months or so I have to reboot the machine because /tmp has filled
> up with zero-length lock files that haven't been cleaned up by horde
> and I run out of inodes.
>
> So is this a bug or have I potentially misconfigured something?  I'm
> able to log in and use horde/imp just fine but I'm still concerned
> that it could be causing problems I'm not aware of yet.

I'm eager to upgrade to the newer memcache session handler in CVS HEAD,
but I'm not sure how safe this would be.  It appears that I might be able
to use v1.4 or v1.5 from CVS in my current stable release of Horde.
Michael, can you comment on that?

Anyways, in the meantime I wrote a script to cleanup the lock files that
it leaves behind in /tmp.  I run it daily out of cron.  See attachment.

 	Andy